Tuesday, 21 June 2016

Reptilekind's greatest achievement so far

Indeed, their greatest achievement so far is that angry looking lizard person dude in the top-left corner. Great many lines of code had to be written (copied really) to make this scene. The keen-eyed between you might notice the obvious, that there are a couple of things missing. Slot icons are not drawn yet and all of the text (that is not part of a picture) is missing as well. Reason is, that the function which draws letters on the screen is lots of assembly and well who wants to do that. We figured that it probably just treats the font table as a 2D array, plus some word wrap etc.
So champion selection is still not done yet, duct tape code gets us here into the inventory screen right now, no way to leave it yet. Next up should be swapping the dummy code for the real stuff, the try some text display and that might actually make my second milestone complete :)
PS.: Technically speaking, I should have made this blog post yesterday, but I had not much to show for, good thing I gave meself 90 days tops:)
PS.: Color palettes will probably be fixed somewhere near the end, so we'll have to tolerate it until then.

Friday, 17 June 2016

The most exciting thing you'll ever see

Movement arrows!

I managed to display a static image, that's gotta be progress, right? So mouse input is in place (sort of), hitboxes on the screen are getting registered correctly, keyboard input is hacked in for testing and I have this cool picture of arrows in the right corner with miss-matched color palettes and an out of place green cursor, nice! Don't worry, more is coming (in like 3-90 days). And by more I mean champion selection and inventory stuffz, oh boy won't that be fun! Well it would be, if not for the monstrously long functions. The worst about them is that they are heavy on compiler variable sharing because they were meant to produce the exact same executable as the original source code would (sound very much insane, right?) when compiled with the same compiler. And that's it for this blog post.

As a finishing side note, there shouldn't be any hiccups since I'm finished with all the exams, thus my studies won't be weighting me down and I don't have much to do right now aside from coding up this super cool game.

Friday, 10 June 2016

Still alive

I hope that the next blog post coming up will be of actual progress we've made.
As I said in the previous blogpost, progress has been hindered. That statement wasn't too accurate... a more precise description would have been, progress has come to grinding halt.
With the progress I've made before the coding period, after discussing it with my mentors, I focused entirely on studying for my exams and after the last one, I should resume work, which should happen on Monday, hopefully.
Screenshots would be due for a proper blogpost, but I have none which I've not showed you already.

Thursday, 2 June 2016

Walls, yet again

It's been a while since my last post... yet again, although this time at least, it's not entirely my fault. Relatedly, progress has been hindered.  I was foolish enough to let my guard down and 'em exams crept up on me. Hopefully they'll soon get off my plate and I'll be able to resume work. Until then, here is a tiny screenshot just to keep you happy, it'll probably be very familiar ^^

The first chunk of graphics code is somewhat ready, sans some "minor" bug fixes in the current codebase, like the piece of code that tells other pieces of code where things are and which way they want to look gets it wrong about half the time. Also if on the off chance you happen to check out the engine in it's current state, you'll notice that the portraits and the ornaments are not shrunk but rather clipped and they are drawn with mismatched colours. After correcting the faulty logic, next up I think will be to add some GUI display. After the GUI is ready enough, character selection should be next up. It'll require further code to handle interacting with the dungeon, with portraits to be specific and also this is where mouse support comes in (which I should have implemented already). After that it's inventory management. This more or less follows my original plan.